Acts of Parliament
See the index for the full list of Acts relating to children, schools and education and for notes on the texts.
Children Act 1972
This brief Act ensured that the minimum age at which children could be employed would not be affected by any further change in the school leaving age.
The text of the Children Act 1972 was prepared by Derek Gillard and uploaded on 22 December 2020.
Children Act 1972
© Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
An Act to secure that the minimum age at which children may be employed is not affected by any further change in the school-leaving age. [27th July 1972]
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-
1 Minimum age of employment
(1) Notwithstanding any change in the age governing the time when children may leave school, the minimum age at which, under section 18(1) of the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 (c. 12) or section 28(1) of the Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act 1937 (c. 37), it is lawful for a child to be employed shall remain the age of 13 years.
(2) Accordingly in each of those sections for subsection (1)(a) there shall be substituted the paragraph -
"(a) so long as he is under the age of thirteen years";and in subsection (2) (which allows the general rules in subsection (1) to be modified by local authority byelaws) for paragraph (a)(i) there shall be substituted the sub-paragraph -
2 Short title, repeal and extent"(i) the employment of children under the age of thirteen years (notwithstanding anything in paragraph (a) of the last foregoing subsection) by their parents or guardians in light agricultural or horticultural work".
(1) This Act may be cited as the Children Act 1972.
(2) The enactments mentioned in the Schedule to this Act are hereby repealed to the extent specified in column 3 of the Schedule.
(3) Nothing in this Act extends to Northern Ireland.